Did you have a movie that you watched on repeat when you were a kid? My sister loved Annie. Me, I loved When Harry Met Sally. With that being said, I think I "fell in love" several times before the age of ten. (And you thought Disney movies were bad for the female psyche.) And from my diary-infused memory, here are the big loves that stand out in my memory:

Preschool: Some kid named Kanan. Gorgeous bowl cut, great eyes, playful sense of humor.
Kindergarten-4th grade: Jeffrey. Great hair. We sat next to each other every year since our last names were in abc sequence. You could say it was a roll call love affair.
Second half of 4th grade: (A girl can't wait around for 5 years expecting him to propose, you know.) Justin. Green Valley Elementary's personal McDreamy.
5th grade: Alex. We had matching puffy pants....ahhhh.

6th grade: Nate. We dated. It was serious for about 1.5 seconds but then summer came and he moved. Long distance is hard when you're 12.
7th-8th grade: Matt. He played the piano and was the first, and only, blonde in my life. We were BFF except I was truly, madly, deeply planning our wedding. He confessed he loved me after he moved. Tragedy. But such good material for a diary.

Freshmen-Sophomore-i'm pretty sure Junior Year: Dominic. Neighborhood friends find true love. This time we planned the future wedding/life. Then we broke up but still went to prom together. The theme that year? "Let's Stay Together" by Al Green. Awesome.
Junior-Senior Year: Derin. Again with the whole friend thing. We flirted across the choir room. Got over that and been friends ever since.
Then it was the end of the high school and my love affair was with friends that I was sad to leave.

College brought a few flings but nothing serious. There was always this geeky looking boy with glasses and a great voice who tried to date me but I'd say no. And then yes, And then no. And then I'd say yes and he'd say no. And then he asked me to marry him. That time I said y.e.s. :)

If any girlfriend can email me the last names of all the aforementioned boys, they will receive a special gift!! Hurry girls, dig through your yearbooks!
No comments:
Post a Comment