
I think this holiday season was a bit much for me. Don't get me wrong, I had a wonderfully spoiled birthday with dinner at The Plaza Hotel from my Dan and lovely cards and presents from family and friends. Christmas was actually very nice here in snowy New York City and we enjoyed a delicious turkey dinner with some friends. And though Dan and I were apart for New Year's Eve, I had a great time ringing in 2011 with good friends and good wine.
Of course now that all the festivities are over, I am one big (snow) ball of stress. I see numbers flashing through my mind: 24...2011...(not even sure when in the future but I'm already worried about)wedding costs....crap, we're going to need a car in the next year costs...how long can/will we crash with my family in the Bay Area before we need to rent again?...GRAD SCHOOL-go, not go, no definitely I should go if only to enrich my life....loans...a ring that needs to be returned and turned miraculously into something else..24...2011. Exhausted yet? I am. I know it's silly to worry so much about things that are out of my control and, worse, to worry about my future rather than make the best decisions I can here in the present. Sometimes I just can' help but have a minor freak out. And turning 24, starting a new decade, and being by yourself for a few days while your honey is out of town seemed as good a time as any.
So, in an effort to calm my nerves and focus not only on the present but on the opportunities I create for myself, I'm turning to Dr. Seuss. Happy New Year friends, I wish all of us peace, happiness, and self-confidence.
You have brains in your head.
You have feet in your shoes.
You can steer yourself in any direction you choose.
You're on your own.
And you know what you know.
You are the guy who'll decide where to go.
~Dr. Seuss
No comments:
Post a Comment