Quick back story: Dan and I met my freshmen year at Chapman in choir. He asked me out a handful of times and I said yes but always flaked. Bad me. I tell him it's becuase I knew once we started dating we wouldn't stop. He says it was because he was post-Chemo looking with pale skin and growing back his hair. Maybe it was a little bit of both...? :) We did eventually date on and off until just before Dan's graduation in May 2008. We officially began dating then and have been together for just over one year! All the waiting was well worth it :)
Last weekend, Dan, his mom, and my family all traveled into town for my graduation. On Friday afternoon, we went out to lunch in Laguna Beach at this incredible beachfront restaurant called Las Brisas. Before we ordered, Dan said he wanted to go out to the little gazebo overlooking the ocean. My heart dropped into my stomach, but still I thought, no way.
He and I walked out to the gazebo where four ladies yelled for us to look out and see the dolphins! We saw two dolphin fins glide over the water. (Later, Ali told me that dolphins are good luck in Hawaiian, Mexican, or Native American culture...hilarious but we'll take it!) Without planning, all of the women left the gazebo so Dan and I could enjoy our favorite beach together. The waters were crashing onto the rocks below and we just stood together talking about how beautiful it all was. I also mentioned how starving I was. I probably said "guacamole" at least three times. :)
Then, our waiter, Hugo, brought out a bottle of wine to me and said a man at the bar bought it for me. Dan acted pissed....I smiled :) Inside the bottle was not wine, but this poem that Dan wrote for me:
"As rough tides break upon the sands and gales blow to and fro,
My love stays firm and can withstand whatever storm may show.
It will not be tormented, this love I have inside,
by any bitter breezes that may come with rising tide.
Reader you may wonder why I boast this love so dearly,
the love that's felt within my heart,
the love I feel sincerely.
As we stand here gazing at the crashing of the sea,
your lover has one question, Ashley..."
I turned around and there was my Dan, on one knee, asking me to marry him. Y.E.S., I said, and proceeded to throw my hands over my face and jump up and down. I threw my arms around my FIANCE only to have him ask me if I wanted to see the ring! It takes my breath away still :)
My love stays firm and can withstand whatever storm may show.
It will not be tormented, this love I have inside,
by any bitter breezes that may come with rising tide.
Reader you may wonder why I boast this love so dearly,
the love that's felt within my heart,
the love I feel sincerely.
As we stand here gazing at the crashing of the sea,
your lover has one question, Ashley..."
I turned around and there was my Dan, on one knee, asking me to marry him. Y.E.S., I said, and proceeded to throw my hands over my face and jump up and down. I threw my arms around my FIANCE only to have him ask me if I wanted to see the ring! It takes my breath away still :)
~~~
As of right now, we are planning on getting married in the summer of 2011. For one thing, Dan will be finished with his masters degree at Juilliard that June and looking into young artist programs for opera. If we want to stay in New York, he'll probably audition Lindeman Program with the Metropolitan Opera to join as a chorus member. Or we'll go somewhere else, who knows!
Also in the summer of 2011, I'll be finished with my Teach For America position/masters program at Fordham University. I just accepted a teaching position with TFA to teach ESL in NYC for two years. Simultaneously, I'll be getting my Masters of Science in Teaching. As of right now, I don't know where in NYC I'll be teaching or what grade level--we're hoping for K-3 in Harlem because Harlem is in Manhattan and so is Juilliard and Fordham. Keep your fingers crossed for us! TFA is an amazing and incredibly challenging program that works to provide equal education to children in high-poverty schools. You can find out more about their program here. Basically watch Freedom Writers or Dangerous Minds and you'll get the idea.
I'm off to visit Idaho on June 15th and then to St. John's University in Queens, NY for summer training! Dan will be joining me in NY in August/September :) Lots of adventures and work ahead! but best of all, wedding gowns, flowers, dresses, and a tux; cake, yummy food, a venue, and invitations! For those of you who got/are getting married in the Bay Area, please let me know of any fabulous vendors you recommend or any tips for this area! We are so excited for the next two years and can't wait for our special day to come :)
Let the planning begin!
Also in the summer of 2011, I'll be finished with my Teach For America position/masters program at Fordham University. I just accepted a teaching position with TFA to teach ESL in NYC for two years. Simultaneously, I'll be getting my Masters of Science in Teaching. As of right now, I don't know where in NYC I'll be teaching or what grade level--we're hoping for K-3 in Harlem because Harlem is in Manhattan and so is Juilliard and Fordham. Keep your fingers crossed for us! TFA is an amazing and incredibly challenging program that works to provide equal education to children in high-poverty schools. You can find out more about their program here. Basically watch Freedom Writers or Dangerous Minds and you'll get the idea.
I'm off to visit Idaho on June 15th and then to St. John's University in Queens, NY for summer training! Dan will be joining me in NY in August/September :) Lots of adventures and work ahead! but best of all, wedding gowns, flowers, dresses, and a tux; cake, yummy food, a venue, and invitations! For those of you who got/are getting married in the Bay Area, please let me know of any fabulous vendors you recommend or any tips for this area! We are so excited for the next two years and can't wait for our special day to come :)
Let the planning begin!
Ashley! You two are so phenomenal. I am so happy for you. You were glowing last weekend :-) and I miss you already. I must come visit you in your fabulous new NY life
ReplyDeleteCongratulations Ashley!
ReplyDeleteI wish you two the best of luck, you'll be such a beautiful bride!
FINALLY! I have been checking you blog and no information was POSTED!. Congrats Ash. I am sure your wedding will be beautiful!
ReplyDeleteI'm not going to lie.. I cried. even though this is the second.. or third time I heard "the story". .. EEE!! still so exited for you! Can't wait to share ideas.. tips.. etc. Much Love girl!
ReplyDeleteOH. MY. GOODNESS!!! Ashley I am fighting back tears. I don't know what it is about you but you hit right to my heart. I am SO incredibly head over heels excited for you. This is such an amazing time in your life, enjoy every single second of it! Dan better know what a very lucky man he is. What a romantic and sweet proposal too!
ReplyDeleteAlso congrats on TFA. What a fantastic program to be a part of. You have accomplished so much Ashley! Do you have a place to live this summer in NYC? I know at least one friend whose roommate is subletting. Also would LOVE to give you vendors and deals we've found. email?fb?
Really soak up this time beautiful bride!!
Yay!! I'm glad you blogged about it so I could see the ring. Are you going to be in CA the weekend of the 27th? If not then I would love to meet up with you (if you have time) in Idaho!!! Call me. Congratulations...I am so excited for you.
ReplyDeletei just read this for the third time. HAHA! and i just cried, AGAIN, at my desk like a weirdo...
ReplyDeletethanks a lot.
oh. and congrats :)
hearts.