Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Smiling In The Rain


One of the things I love most about the city is that I can walk almost every where. Public transportation can be frustrating but it’s better than paying for gas, car insurance, car maintenance, and sitting in bumper-to-bumper traffic. Yet there are some instances—moments of frustration, really—when I start singing my version of the Rihanna classic “SU-burbia!” while I wish for a car to take me away from the sights, smells, and sore feet of NYC. One such moment happened last night….

It started with me visiting the amazingly close new Trader Joes to pick up a few TJ specialties. Then me and my domestic self ran yet another errand to Target which is only 10 blocks from our apartment. WELL. The rain started as I walked through the exit doors with my TJs bag in one hand and Target bags in the other. I definitely picked up the pace but it was only sprinkling at that point so I figured I could make it home in time. WRONG! Seconds later, lightning flashed and sprinkles turned into a downright rain storm with sheets of rain pouring down on me (my two bags, skirt, ballet flats, umbrella-less, me) from every possible angle! My skirt clung to my legs in that oh so attractive skin tight nature and my shoes became swimming pools for my feet. Mascara streaked my cheeks and my hair was everywhere. Half way home I started laughing like a crazy woman alone in the middle of the pouring rain. A man offered to share his umbrella with me but the damage was done. When I reached my building (that had rain shielding scaffolding up until that morning….) a neighborhood man saw me giggling and started laughing right along with me as he sat on covered stairs waiting out the storm.

Though I often miss the luxuries of having a car, I must admit it made me very happy to be thoroughly soaked from the rain. In fact, I highly recommend it :)

No comments:

Post a Comment